My kitchen is a disaster! Not really, wait, yes it is. We’re getting ready for remodeling and taking out all the stuff from our kitchen. The inconvenience is driving me insane! I am constantly mumbling “Where in the world did xxx go?” I open boxes which I just packed to hunt for it. No, not here. I move on to box number two. OK this is not a really good system. The other boxes that my husband packed he written its contents - Above fridge cabinet - Honey, I don’t want to play the guessing game. When I cleaned out pantry I saw something. What are those specks of black thingies? Kylie! I yelled to our 18 year old cat. She does not care for mice either, as matter of fact she doesn’t care for anything except vacuum cleaner. She jumps when I turn it on. This is the only time that she moves very fast.
Everybody knows what omelet rice is in Japan. It’s fried rice wrapped in an omelet. Though it’s a staple menu in many family style restaurants, it is better to make it yourself, to create your own version of it. Today is a good day to make omelet rice because I need to clean the refrigerator too. Also my friend gave me fresh eggs collected from her hen house. Earthy looking eggs are a real charmer. The yolks were very bright. I wanted to make something extraordinary with these but I am hindered by missing gadgets and pans. Her chickens look healthy and plump… I mean nice.
In the refrigerator, I had one green and one half-used red pepper, onion and bone in ham but anything goes with this recipe; bacon, sausage, mushroom, frozen peas… breast chicken is another popular people’s choice. I mentioned this in an old post blog but I don’t like onion so I mince it really fine. I don’t have to but my guys like it so I usually include it in the fried rice filling. Although I like frozen peas, that has to be excluded because my son despises them. I’m so nice!
Ingredients for fried rice filling for 1 person (times how many in your household).
- Oil and butter 1 teaspoon (or more) each.
- Roughly 1/4 cup each of 3-4 vegetables. minced or chopped.
- Your choice of meat. chopped
- Cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon (or more) chicken bullion paste or tomato ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a non stick wok or pan at medium high.
- Add vegetables and sauté until onion is transparent.
- Add cooked rice and quickly combine and keep stirring. You could also shake the pan back and forth to cook like Iron chef.
- Add bullion paste or ketchup and stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Ingredients for omelet- 1serving
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 tablespoon milk or cream-egg mixture should not be watery.
- Salt and white pepper
- Butter 1 teaspoon-may substitute vegetable oil.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs and milk together.
- Add salt and pepper, whisk to combine.
- Heat butter in nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Pour egg mixture and rotate pan to distribute egg evenly over the bottom of the pan (I used a 12 inch pan).
- Bake for about 10 seconds to slightly set but egg is still raw.
- Filled with fried rice on the center of egg.
- Gather the egg around rice and turn over to encase the rice.
- Flip onto the plate - you could use paper towel to shape omelet neatly. Put some demi-glace sauce or ketchup over the rice. I like ketchup personally.
- Eat with a spoon!
We had faint snow this morning.
What can I make for next week without kitchen? Eat out? That sounds about right.