Whoever first thought about making cheese cake in a rice cooker was brilliant! Although I can not claim this is the best cheese cake ever, but for someone who does not have an oven, it has decent flavor. I read the rice cooker cheese cake recipe in a local Japanese newspaper a few years ago and have kept it in my recipe file ever since. Now that I don’t have an oven, I remembered the recipe. But Voila! The recipe is in one of the boxes I packed for kitchen remodeling! I didn’t waste time looking, I just Googled it in Japanese and found several at cookpad.com - the Japanese version of allrecipes.com.
Just for this one time I’m glad that I didn’t have a IH (Induction heat) rice cooker which is the latest, high-tech and high performing rice cooker. Time to make this cheese cake differs from one rice cooker to another. I pushed the ‘cook’ switch three times to completely bake and it is more difficult to do with IH model won’t allow you to re-bake-Request denied is what the rice cooker is saying.
The recipe is simple and simpler if you mix all the ingredients in the rice cooker. I am trying to avoid washing dishes as much as possible because of the sink situation yet I used the other bowl to combine first afraid that I will scratch rice cooker inner pan which is more expensive. The cake out of the rice cooker is warm, fluffy and good but it’s best to eat after chilled over night. Lucky me, I had blueberries and made sauce in the microwave. It was not bad at all.
Ingredients for cheese cake
Special equipment-3 or more cup rice cooker
- Cream cheese 1 box 226g room temperature
- Sugar 80g
- Heavy cream 200ml
- 3 eggs
- All-purpose flour 2 Tablespoon
- Lemon juice 1 Tablespoon
- Put cream cheese in a large bowl and stir until creamy with wooden spoon. If the cheese is too stiff to handle, warm up in a microwave for about 10 seconds or so.
- Add rest of ingredients in and mix well
- Pour cream cheese mixture into the rice cooker and cook.
- After cooking is done, check doneness by inserting wooden skewer. Push the button again if it’s not cooked. Like I said I had to push it three times.
- Turn it over onto a plate.
My neighbor across the street told me about strange mushroom growing on her fence. I went to see and here are some pictures I took. They are like little alien village. They are only about an inch tall.
I will post more photos of remodeling project next Tuesday.