Hot Weather Treat
The weather here in Oregon has been unusually warm lately. So I have been craving something cold and sweet. Since there is no one here to help me drink the kefir, I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and use some of the abundant kefir to make frozen custard. When I was a kid we used to hand-crank our ice cream. I must admit that having an electric ice cream maker is much easier – and it makes just enough for me to eat and share with the neighbors.
Ingredients and instruction (Print Recipe Here)
Equipment needed: Ice cream maker
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups kefir
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 Tablespoons sugar
- Bring the cream and sugar just to a boil in a small saucepan.
- In the meantime, stir the egg yolks and vanilla together.
- Slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks while whisking. Allow to cool.
- Pour the kefir into the egg yolk and cream mixture. Cool off in the refrigerator.
- Put the cooled down mix into the ice cream maker and turn it on.
We used to fight over who got the paddle when the ice cream was done. Somehow the ice cream stuck to that tasted better…
- Enjoy with fresh fruit or just plain.
I am a big fan of home made kefir. I really like the sourness and the health benefits. We use it in our morning smoothies and I enjoy drinking it plain. Looking forward to Nipponnin getting home this week.Got a few tomatoes from the garden,