Super Easy Tofu Soup
Do you know October 2nd is a Tofu Day in Japan? 10 in Chinese Character ‘十’ (looks like cross or plus sign doesn’t it?) has two pronunciations – Jyu and To (pronounce tow). 2’s Chinese character is very simple, just draw two lines, one on top of the other, make the top line slightly shorter. ‘二’ also has two pronunciations two…I mean too. Nee and Fu. See where I’m going with this?
Inexpensive, available in supermarkets everywhere, versatile tofu is a Japanese kitchen staple. This tofu dish is incredibly easy and quick, the spicy tobanjyan sooth your melancholic soul.
The recipe is just guideline, adjust to your own taste.
Ingredients and Instruction for two servings (Print Recipe Here)
Nice to have equipment – small stone pot with lid
- 150 cc water
- 2 teaspoons instant dashi powder Note; I used no-MSG granule type.
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons tobanjyan (豆板醤/spicy miso paste) available in tube or jar.
- 1 package Japanese style soft tofu, drained and cut in 4ths
- 2-3 stalks of green onion or 1 long green onion, cut the white part -diagonally
- 1/3 cup tempura batter crumbs (agedama/揚げ玉 or tenkasu/天かす) they comes in a bag, find in refrigerated section of a Japanese market. Note: Homemade tempura batter crumbs – Fish out with a slotted spoon the crumbs naturally occur when you frying tempura.
- Pour water in stone pot or bottom heavy small pan and boil.
- Add dashi powder and stir to dissolve
- Add soy sauce.
- Add tobanjyan and mix well. cook until liquids come to a full boil.
- Lower the heat and place tofu in the pot. Put lid on and cook for about 5 -7 minutes. Turn tofu once mid way.
- Add green onion and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle tempura crumbs on top, cook for 30 second to soften the crumbs or serve immediately if you prefer crunchy texture.
Variation#1 – Instead of Tofu, add rinsed frozen udon noodle
Variation #2 – Add kimchi and it’s own juice to make knock-off kimchi jjiage
From instagram posts of Today’s TAPAS (#todaystapas) and Today’s Sweets(#todayssweets) -
Night fall comes early now, I just have one of those, a cup of decaffeinated earl gray tea and a good book to curl up with…when I wake in the morning, it’s still dark. I feel like I need mega dose of Vitamin D.