Sweet and Sour Tofu Burger
Tofu burger sounds vegetarian, right? but not so with this recipe. The 4 pack Organic Tofu was on sale at Costco. The word ‘organic’ is over used lately I think. It’s true that organic resonates ‘healthier’ but really?
My tofu repertory is rather limited and perhaps boring. After I used tofu in hot pot (鍋料理) and mapo-tofu (麻婆豆腐), its expiration date is fast approaching. I dig into treasure chest… I mean storage box (I sometimes like low-tech search) and there I found this recipe that calls for ingredients I already have. Lucky! The bed of vegetables could be optional yet it completes the dish. I highly recommend that you include it in the circle.
Ingredients and Instructions for 6, 3 inch diameter burgers (Print Recipe Here)
For Tofu burger
- 1 package of medium firm tofu
- Ground pork 1/2 pound
- 2 stalks of green onion finely minced
- Ginger finely minced 1 Tablespoon
- Sesame oil 2 teaspoons
- Salt and pepper
For Seasoning sauce – adjust as needed
- Water 1 cup
- Chinese chicken soup granules or Japanese dashi base 1 teaspoon
- Tomato ketchup 1/4 cup
- Rice vinegar 3 Tablespoons
- Sugar 2 teaspoons
- Potato starch or cornstarch 2 teaspoons
- Bean sprouts 1 bag or 2 cups
- Green onion or garlic chives 2-3 stalks cut green part only in 2 inches length.
- Bok Choy (optional) 1-2 Separate and cut in half length wise.
- Salt and pepper (I recommend white pepper)
Vegetable oil 2 Tablespoons
- Remove water from tofu – Lay 2 sheets of paper towels onto shallow microwave safe dish. Tear off tofu by hand and put on the top. Microwave for 2 minutes at 60% power. Bring the four corners of the paper towel together and squeeze (careful, it may still be hot) above a dish to catch the drippings, ensure that most of the liquid from tofu is removed, discard liquid. Leave tofu on a new sheet of paper towels till needed.
- Mix ground pork with the salt and pepper until the pork is pasty. Add minced green onion, ginger, prepared tofu, sesame oil in a large bowl and mix well. Divide in 6ths or 12ths and make patties or balls. Set aside.
- Make season sauce– Pour water in a bowl or large measuring cup. Dissolve Chinese chicken soup granules or Japanese dashi base. Add rest of the season mix ingredients except cornstarch then mix well. Pour about 1/4 cup of the just prepared seasoning sauce into a small bowl and dissolve potato starch or cornstarch. Put the starch mix back into the seasoning mix bowl. Set aside.
- Bedding vegetable - Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan at high temperature. Sauté the bean sprouts, green onion (or garlic chives) and bok choy until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large platter.
- Wipe the same frying pan with paper towel. Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil at medium heat. Lay the patties in and brown about 3 minutes. Turn over to brown other side about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir the seasoning sauce once again and pour over the patties. Cook until the liquids get thicker and patties are coated.
- Put the patties over the vegetables on the platter. Spoon remaining seasoning liquid over the patties. Serve hot.
Fancy Chocolate Kefir Sourdough Waffles showed up one morning. My husband’s two day project. He loves homemade fermented kefir.
After my husband mowed the lawn last Saturday, he took a number of “Signs of Spring” pictures. This is my fav pic, Star Magnolia. Our back yard vegetable garden – forgotten kale plants and noxious weeds.
I hope you’re having a great Spring Break. I wish I’m somewhere I can hear my grandkids whining.