May you have warm words on
a cold evening, a full moon on a
dark night and a smooth road
all the way to your door.
This gentle Irish prayer reflects my thoughts for those who were affected by the tsunami three years ago today. The enormity of the aftermath is still evident and lives of many were changed that day.
The anniversary happened to fall on Tuesday this year, my blog day. I went back to check my old post to see what I was feeling that day three years ago, more of the same feelings - sadness of course, powerlessness and fear…I pray that time is kind and people find hope and happiness even if it’s still in darkness. My son and my husband (my son is in back wearing towel, my husband is next to him in dark shirt) traveled to Japan to volunteer for clean up efforts in 2011.
Oh hello there… I found Fillo sheets inside the freezer. It must be more than 6 months old. I think I had a plan for this but what was it? It’s time for plan B. I improvised one of the recipe in a ‘Award winning Fillo Recipes’ booklet.The recipe is simple however, fillo demands a most delicate touch which is not my strong suit.
Ingredients and Instruction for Crab and Brie Bake for 2-4 servings (Print recipe here)
1/2 cup crab meat
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh chives finely chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- Lemon juice 1-2 teaspoons
- Cayenne pepper 1/8 teaspoon or more
- Salt and pepper
- 8oz brie
- Fillo sheets or Puff pastry dough. Defrost over night in refrigerator
- Olive oil 1/4 cup or more or melted butter
- 1 egg for egg wash
- In a medium bowl, mix crab meat, chive, mayonnaise cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare fillo –Unfold and lay flat for sometime to get crease out. Brush 1/2 sheet with olive oil and fold in half. Repeat 8 more times. Prevent the fillo sheet from drying by covering with plastic wrap and a moist towel. Lay the prepared fillo sheets in a sunburst design.
- Remove rind from top of brie and place on the center of the sunburst. Top with crab meat mixture. Press to make dome form.
- Fold over fillo sheets over from top layer sheets and so on. Trim fillo if needed as you go.
- Heat oven to 375F. Lay foil on the cooking sheet or just simply grease the baking tray. Place fillo wrapped crab and brie on top of it.
- In a small bowl beat egg and 1 Tablespoon of water. Brush fillo with egg mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Garnish with mixture of mayonnaise and wasabi paste if you like.
The accompanying warm soup was not really that complementary. Spinach soup is vegan, gluten free and has 8 servings of vegetables in it. Although the color is wonderful, It tasted like a warm spinach smoothie. Get me some ice cubes! A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!
Have a blessed week!