Fried Bean Curd, Ground Chicken Stuffing.
Nabe dish (hot pot ) is really the idealistic Winter meal for us. Something about fishing ingredients from one stone pot makes it sooo warm and fuzzy inside…hey, eat vegetables too, not just the meat…we were as parents used to say to our little people… what?…no, technically, tofu is not vegetable…eat the GREEN stuff!
I made this ground chicken stuffed fried tofu for hot pot one night, as usual the left over re-appeared as a remake dish the following night. Sometimes the re-make beats original.
Ingredients and Instruction for ground chicken stuffed fried tofu makes two dozen (Print Recipe Here)
- 6 rectangular fried bean curd (油揚げ)
- 600g ground chicken
- 4 Tablespoons sake
- 30g mitsuba/ Japanese parsley, chopped
- 30g ginger root, minced
- 1/4 cup grated nagaimo/ Chinese yam
- Cook fried bean curd in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and drain (this is to remove oil). When the fried tofu is safe to handle, squeeze out excess water. Place one fried tofu on a paper towel, roll the round chop stick from one end to the other to make it easier to open inside. cross cut in 4ths. Repeat for other fried bean curd. Set aside
- Put ground chicken and sake in a bowl and mix well until pasty. Add mitsuba, ginger, nagaimo and salt and mix very well.
- Stuff meat mixture into tofu pouch (do not worry about closing it completely). Press gently to flatten.
Sweet stewing stuffed ground ingredients and Instruction
- 1 cup plus kelp dashi stock I made from 1 tablespoon granule kelp dashi dissolved in a hot water. Note: dashi stock barely covered fried tofu, you may need to adjust by adding more stock.
- 8-10 ground chicken stuffed fried tofu
- 1- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons each of sake, mirin (seasoned sake) and soy sauce
- Boil dashi stock in a pan. Add sugar.
- Gently drop in stuffed fried tofu and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add sake, mirin and soy sauce. place drop lid over the stuffing. Cook for 5-6 minutes longer. Turn off heat and let it cool in pan. Serve with broth.
Option: Add vegetable of your choice – I put some broccoli florets in during the last 2 minutes of #3 cooking step.
I’m having a fun time making Today’s TAPAS and posting on Instagram. I often second guess about filtering (same for blog photos)…my eye sight is not that great….old age does that to you.
From left, garlic sesame flavor fried chicken wings with coleslaw; asparagus wrapped with puff pastry, cream cheese cranberry paste filling.
I heard the weatherman predicting temperature of 60’s tomorrow. How blessed we are to have such mild Winter here. I’m praying for pleasant weather coming to wherever you are. (photo below taken last Friday)
Avoir une joyeuse Saint Valentin! (Have a happy St.Valentine’s Day!)