Wow! That is something you don’t see everyday… The unique/strange recipe I spied on internet. Is it soup, smoothies or dessert? My curiosity was so great that I sent my skeptical husband out to hunt for strawberries.
However, to my dismay, it looks as if our backyard strawberry season is almost over. We didn’t have the chance to share many with neighbors or friends yet, but the strawberries are getting moldy and some are quite bitter. I suspect that it has something to do with the rain…we have plenty up here…or…are we watering too much? .He managed to find edible strawberry just a small bowlful.
Ingredients and Instruction for 2 servings (Print Recipe Here)
- 200g of strawberries Cleaned, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 4g* of salt *2% of strawberry weight
- 4-5 large cabbage leaves
- Place all the chopped strawberry in a medium bowl sprinkle in salt. Mix well and wait until the strawberries render the liquid.
- Cook cabbage leaves in a boiling water about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and cool on colander.
- Put cooled cabbage in a blender or food processor to puree. Add small amount of water if necessary to make a nice puree.
- Scoop out cabbage puree into an individual bowl and top with the prepared strawberry. I like it chilled!
It looks pretty…but the question still lingers… is this…hummm… what is it?. Definitely interesting…unexpected sweetness! Where else can you find sugar free, vegan, gluten free and guilt free mysterious… dessert? My husband kept his opinion to himself but I can tell he was not impressed. Forget pureed cabbage, he poured some sweetened condensed milk on top of salted strawberries. Now that’s more like it!
Making gumi jam is not easy task… Its striped seed is large and so little fruit. My husband put so much effort and produced just one jar of jam.On the other hand, making strawberry jam is nearly effortless.
Both jams are really good on soft White Heidi Rolls (ハイジの白いパン), in a Johanna Spyri story, the kind hearted girl Heidi brought white bread to Peter’s grandmother who had a hard time eating crusty bread because of her bad teeth…
I loved the animation based on the book when I was young and loved the song.
Do you think we had too much carbohydrate and not much else this week? Don’t you worry, we had 6 servings of fruits and vegetables from the …whatchamacallit? quipped my husband.